Important N.S. Merchant’s Walking Stick
Here we are offering an important piece of Halifax merchant and seafaring history. This is a personal walking stick that had been presented to William Robertson, owner of the famous William Robertson & Son Ship Chandlery of Lower Water Street, Halifax. The chandlery building is still well-preserved and now part of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. The walking stick has an ornate gold-filled cap with personalized engraving which reads "PRESENTED BY M.C.T.A. NEW YEAR 1899" and with "Wm. Robertson" at the center. This stick was definitely a status symbol at 37 inches in length and with a particularly ornate top.
To put this stick into a little historical context, 1899 would've been an exciting time for the chandlery as it was experiencing tremendous success. One year prior, it had been approved for the installation of electric lighting and in the summer and fall of 1899 the wonderful brick facade was added to the storefront.